Principal Research & Development Engineer
- Perform software based and hand calculations for rotor dynamics, stresses, finite element analysis for strength of high speed rotating shafts, shaft lateral frequency analysis, acoustics analysis for large size rotating and component selection.
- Have strong hands-on experience in the utilization of structural FEA for rotating machines as it relates to work on research and development of the Company’s products, including making calculations, analysis of results, application of theories and new technologies.
- Have the ability to review and analyze calculations similar to the ones described above, but performed by peers.
- Understands frequency and structural analysis of large machines as specified by multiple agency regulations and standards.
- Define all mechanical aspects of product characteristics to meet specifications and requirement, and lead projects from inception to completion while coordinating and supervising prototype build and test.
- Utilize deep working knowledge of mechanical engineering principles as related to electromagnetic energy conversion.
- Develop understanding of the design intent behind rotating machine components so that correct part equations and assembly construction and constraints can be applied to 3-D solid models. Research and rationalize historical design differences to apply a consistency to the solids being developed. Design spreadsheets of dimensional data for model resizing.
- Assist on R&D projects with calculations of mechanical and electromechanical nature as to accurately describe the essence of problems and offers valid and novel solutions, as they apply to new intellectual property.
- Represent the TWMC R&D department in academia, professional organizations and consortiums, and technical conferences, as well as present technical papers at same. May be a seated member of an industrial technical committee or advisory group representing the technical views of the company.
- Participate and supports outside activities such as regulatory or other third party testing.
- Prepare engineering data on new designs. As needed, may advise manufacturing personnel in construction, specifications and procedures and assist in conducting tests in assigned areas and phases or responsibility.
- Assist in the development of engineers with less experience.
- Analyze project requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints.
- Performs analysis and calculations to properly size components used in design of engineered products.
- Design and documents application software requirements for engineered products.
- Develop and directs software system testing procedures, programming and documentation.
- Regular attendance is an essential function of this position.
- Compliance with applicable Company policies concerning maintaining a drug free workplace is required.
- Compliance with all Company policies is required, including adherence to Company ISO 9001 Standards and compliance with Company Affirmative Action Plan and Company Safety procedures.
- Incorporate the Standards of Excellence as outlined by TMWC (Pride, Desire, Teamwork, Attention to Detail, and Follow-through) into daily activities in order to create a Total Quality environment through personal commitment to excellence.
- Other functions as required (non-essential functions).
SCOPE, PURPOSE & FREQUENCY OF CONTACTS
- Frequent contact with engineers, scientists, subject matter experts, and academia personnel to gather and explain information related to assigned areas of work. Occasional contacts with suppliers, Purchasing, Sales and Service department representatives, manufacturing, and laboratory personnel related to assigned projects.
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited University; ten (10) years of related Design or R&D Engineer experience in the design and test of Induction, DC or Synchronous motors/generators.
- Five (5) years of experience in leading complex project teams.
- Five (5) years experience using electromagnetic FEA software.
- Five (5) to ten (10) years of design experience using NEMA Standards or IEC Standards.
- Demonstrated acumen in electric motor design and supporting theory, driven auxiliaries such as pump, fans, and compressors, wind power generation, propulsion and traction, the use of International standard affecting motor/generator design, and a working knowledge of adjustable speed drives and full power converters.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently required walking; reaching with hands and arms; and stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling. The employee is occasionally required to stand. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to fifty (50) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
TECO-Westinghouse Motor Company's (TWMC) Management reserves the right to revise, change or modify the duties and responsibilities of this position at any time to meet business and organizational needs. This position description may not list all duties for this position. The incumbent in the position may be asked to perform other duties. This position description is not a contract for employment and either the incumbent or TWMC may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.
Resumes along with salary requirements should be sent to:
TECO-Westinghouse Motor Company
Benefits & Opportunities
We offer a competitive compensation package, attractive benefits, 401(k), profit sharing, tuition reimbursement and many opportunities to continue your professional growth.
Qualified candidates should send résumés along with salary requirements and the title of the position that is being applied for to:
TECO-Westinghouse Motor Company
Attn: Human Resources
5100 North IH-35
Round Rock, TX 78681
M/F/V/D Equal Opportunity Employer.