Power Electronics Senior Electrical Engineer
The Power Electronics Senior Electrical Engineer reports to the Power Electronics Manager and is responsible for providing electrical and electronics design support for power applications involving variable frequency drives and to a lesser extent the electric motors for which they are designed to control. The Power Electronics Senior Electrical Engineer is a highly visible and pivotal contributor to the Power Electronics R&D team and will work closely with customers, Sales and Marketing, and various engineering teams in developing and implementing these designs. Selection of the Power Electronics Senior Electrical Engineer will be based to a high degree on the candidate’s demonstrated record of effective communication and ability to coordinate activities within a dynamic product development environment.
- Identifies, specifies and selects components such as power supplies, contactors, diodes, IGBT’s, film/electrolytic capacitors, reactors, transformers, semiconductor fuses, transient absorbers, switchgear and other components typically used in power electronics applications.
- Performs medium voltage drive power sizing studies in the range of 4.16kV through 13.8kV for motors up to 5000hp or larger. Provides system protection coordination, arc flash and short circuit analysis.
- Assists in developing control algorithms and/or strategies for power systems. Designs inverter control including electronic protection alarm and trips, current and voltage and other feedback loops, monitors, customer interface, product program parameters and communication links. Assists in designing V/Hz, Vector, and Regenerative types of control.
- Assists in designing electronic control of machines. Practical understanding of machine principles such a inrush, overload, magnetizing current, torque, rpm, harmonics, poles, power, horsepower, and other machine parameters. Assists in designs for control for variable torque, constant torque, and regenerative applications.
- Assists in designing magnetic components such as reactors and transformers.
- Performs circuit design and develops board schematics for analog and digital circuitry which use processors, FPGAs, A/D converters, D/A converters, fiber optics, signal shifters, op amps, current sources, power supplies, SCR control circuits, protection circuits, and other circuits typically used in power electronics applications. Proficiency in ORCAD schematic capture and PCB layout a plus.
- Creates PLC programs and relay ladder logic circuits. Assists other engineers with the design and selection of PLC-based relay control circuits.
- Works with mechanical engineers to integrate electrical designs into the technical drawing package. Generates Bills of Materials, block diagrams, wire lists and point to point diagrams, and component specifications to support the documentation process. Proficiency in SolidWorks Electrical is a plus. Proficiency in SmartTeam product data Management system is a plus.
- Supports system design, installation, startup, maintenance, troubleshooting and repair.
- Responsible for selection, testing and implementation of new components and electronic assemblies. Responsible for lab test report documentation. Responsible for supporting test fixtures and documentation for prototype and production testing.
- Analyzes electrical system reliability. Use of RELEX to develop system reliability models is a plus.
- Assists in troubleshooting electrical problems in lab, factory floor, and/or field. Extended travel to customer site installations is required occasionally.
- Assists in the design of power electronics packaging. Knowledge of high voltage insulation design.
- Ensures power systems designs meet applicable codes and standards. Assists in the generation of UL test procedures, reports and other support documentation.
- Reviews and analyze customer requirements and specifications for power electronics applications.
- Assists sales and marketing in reviewing and developing proposals for power systems.
- Assists on customer training.
- Provides mentoring and training to less experienced engineers.
- Complies with TWMC and customer’s work safety practices at all times.
- Complies with applicable Company policies concerning maintaining a drug free workplace.
- Complies with all Company policies, including adherence to Company ISO 9001 Standards and compliance with Company Affirmative Action Plan and Company Safety procedures.
- Incorporates the Standards of Excellence as outlined by TWMC (Pride, Desire, Teamwork, Attention to Detail, & Follow-through) into daily activities in order to create a Total Quality environment through personal commitment to excellence.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelors of Science degree (B. S.) in Electrical Engineering from four-year college or university (required). Master’s degree preferred.
- Eight to ten years of experience of power engineering related work minimum. 10+ years of experience is a plus.
- The ideal candidate will have experience specifying and/or designing variable frequency drives, switchgear, transformers and other components typically used for electric motors power systems operating with voltages up to 13.8 kV.
- Knowledge of industrial power systems and facility layout. Knowledge of utility grids and 3 phase power distribution systems.
- Familiarity with dielectric strength of materials, creepage, arc track resistance, mitigation of corona discharge and arc flash hazards.
- Familiarity with NEMA enclosures and NEC design standards and the use of solid insulating materials in the construction of high voltage electrical assemblies.
- Familiarity with the design of high current bus bars and connections.
- Knowledge of UL testing and certification process.
- Familiarity with high pot testing of systems, sub-systems and components.
- Experience with PLC programming, standards and codes governing power systems is a plus.
- Experience with LabView is a plus.
- P.E. designation is a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to manage small to medium sized projects. Experience in providing leadership and directing workflow is a plus.
- Must be comfortable interfacing with customers, vendors, sales and engineering personnel.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with situations where only limited standardization and/or information exists.
- Bias for action.
- Must be available to travel on occasion. Trips would be typically 1-3 days a month, if needed.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
TECO-Westinghouse Motor Company's (TWMC) Management reserves the right to revise, change or modify the duties and responsibilities of this position at any time to meet business and organizational needs. This position description may not list all duties for this position. The incumbent in the position may be asked to perform other duties. This position description is not a contract for employment and either the incumbent or TWMC may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.
Resumes along with salary requirements should be sent to:
TECO-Westinghouse Motor Company
Benefits & Opportunities
We offer a competitive compensation package, attractive benefits, 401(k), profit sharing, tuition reimbursement and many opportunities to continue your professional growth.
Qualified candidates should send résumés along with salary requirements and the title of the position that is being applied for to:
TECO-Westinghouse Motor Company
Attn: Human Resources
5100 North IH-35
Round Rock, TX 78681
Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans Equal Opportunity Employer.